African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Special Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer – Africa50
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience6 years
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Africa50 is a landmark investment vehicle, focused exclusively on Africa’s infrastructure investment opportunities. It is an independent, profit driven, commercially managed entity. It will provide a means for private sector investors to bring fresh capital to infrastructure development while securing a return. The result should be a significant boost to efforts to ensure sustained economic growth on the African continent. Africa50 will focus on large scale, transformative, commercially and developmentally sustainable infrastructure projects. Africa50 will target investments in high-impact national and regional projects in the energy, transport, Information Communication Technology and water sectors.
Africa50 is hiring a Special Assistant to its Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The selected candidate will assist the CEO in all aspects of his work and will interact with a wide range of people within and outside Africa50. The position requires stamina and a tremendous capacity for hard work.
Qualified candidates will ideally have over six years of professional experience in finance or management consulting with strong finance skills. They should have a solid record of accomplishments and strong performance; sound judgment; strong organizational abilities; and excellent oral and written communication and people skills, including the ability to work across boundaries, as a leader and as a team member. The ability to be discreet and handle confidential information is also essential.
Duties and responsibilities
Responsibilities for the successful applicant will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide input, analysis, and recommendations on issues brought to the CEO’s attention either for information or for action.
- Ensure that the CEO is adequately briefed and informed of important issues as they arise.
- Provide assistance to the CEO on all matters relating to Africa50’s operations, and Board interactions.
- Ensure appropriate follow through on actions, decisions, and commitments made by the CEO by working with the parties responsible for implementation.
- Prepare, attend meetings with (and on behalf of) the CEO, and follow up on agreed actions.
- Maintain regular contact both informally and formally with a wide range of staff to stay abreast of emerging issues requiring attention, and establish a program of systematic interaction with staff and follow up.
- Review briefs, speeches, and draft talking points for a wide spectrum of occasions.
- Closely interact with the Africa50 executive team and their staff, and keep them informed of important issues.
- Coordinate all high level corporate meetings, and overall schedule of the CEO.
- Organize and manage special events or visits of high profile guest’s and clients.
- Provide a broad range of analytical and liaison functions.
- Work effectively with Communication Staff to help manage Public Relations and Media outreach for the CEO.
- Coordinate the activities of the CEO’s front office.
- Fluent in English and French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Must hold Master’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent qualification.
- Must have at least six (6) years’ experience in finance or management consulting with strong finance skills.
- Ability to produce high quality work with very short deadlines, to effectively prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and to adapt to unexpected work demands.
- Ability to multitask is essential.
- Highly developed communication and diplomatic skills (written and oral) to effectively share views at highest levels, and communicate effectively with staff at all levels.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and logistical skills, with keen attention to detail and ability to follow up systematically on a broad set of initiatives and decisions.
- Responsiveness to demands of the CEO, internal and external clients.
- Strong initiative and record of performance with low supervisory requirements to function effectively as a member of a team within unstructured and pressured work environment.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including an ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Ability and capability to make decisions quickly, often with incomplete information.
- High degree of tact and discretion in dealing with internal and external clients, staff at all levels, and in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Capacity to work long hours as needed; Highly motivated, and committed to highest ethical standards.
go to method of application »
Protocol and Liaison Officer – EARC
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience4 years
- Job Field Law / Legal
The Eastern Africa Regional Resource Center (EARC) of the African Development Bank (AfDB)has been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments and other stakeholders and improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
The Bank invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill in the vacant position of Protocol and Liaison Officer. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and does not attract international terms and conditions.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Regional Director of EARC and the technical oversight of the Bank’s Chief of Protocol, the Protocol & Liaison Officer’s role will be to contribute to the efficient delivery of protocol services of the Bank by:
(i) Ensuring that the Bank and its staff are accorded at all times their privileges and immunities in the region covered by the EARC; (ii) Ensuring prompt issuance of relevant documents for Bank staff (residence permits, franchises, registration of their vehicles, exemption from VAT, etc.) in accordance with the Bank’s policies and guidelines; (iii) Providing assistance in the planning, programming and monitoring of ceremonies and receptions organized by the Bank; (iv) Ensuring proper communication between staff of the Bank and government officials of the host country; (v) Working closely with Protocol Services at the Bank’s Headquarters to ensure a maintenance of protocol standards of the Bank and its staff; (vi) Providing general administrative support to the Regional Resource Centre by designing, preparing and following up on various administrative documents, Notes Verbale, various certification documents, attestations, etc.; (vii) Contributing to the establishment of good working relations between the Bank, its staff and host country authorities. Other specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Act as liaison between the Bank and staff on the one hand and the host country authorities on the other;
- Prepare Notes Verbale addressed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the host country relating to the management of privileges and immunities of the Regional Resource Centre (RRC) and the staff assigned to it;
- Prepare, dispatch and follow up on residence permits of the Bank’s staff;
- Prepare, dispatch and follow up on visa and motor vehicle registration applications of the Bank’s staff at the beginning and end of employment term;
- Follow up with the host country’s authorities, procedures for obtaining franchises/concessions on the importation and exportation of personal effects, vehicles and other goods for the use of the RRC and its staff, as well as VAT exemptions;
- Conduct airport arrival and departure formalities for senior staff of the Bank and all other personalities invited by the Regional Office;
- Coordinate the organization of events and ceremonies organized by the RRC-Nairobi;
- Maintain an up-to-date status of motor vehicle fleet for the RRC and its staff;
- Perform regular inventories of applications for franchises/concessions, residence permits, etc. and inform the Regional Director of the status;
- Ensure flag, emblems and pennants of the Bank are well maintained;
- Produce a monthly activity report on the Protocol Officer’s portfolio;
- Report to the Privileges, immunities and conferences Division (SGPC.12) on all issues pertaining to the implementation of the privileges and immunities provisions of the Host Country Agreement (HCA);
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its university equivalent in Law, International Relations, International Public Law, Political Science, or other related discipline;
- Qualifications, studies and training in diplomacy and protocol practices would be an advantage;
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience holding a diplomatic position in government or a similar position in a multilateral organization such as the Bank;
- Experience in protocol practices of Governments, National or Public Administrations, Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Embassies;
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multicultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups;
- Strong interpersonal skills, a keen sense of initiative, rigorous and methodical approach with attention to detail; Budget and programme management skills desirable;
- An excellent communicator in English. A good working knowledge of French will be an advantage;
- Competence in the use of standard software used in the Bank (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP will be an advantage.
To apply, click preferred job title(s)
- Special assistant to the chief executive officer – Africa50
- Protocol and liaison officer – Eastern Africa Regional Resource Centre (EARC)
AD: Click here to Read Latest Nigerian Newspapers Online
Information is Power! Don't miss any information from your School, So, Subscribe to FREE Email Alert! Now
"LIKE" To Get Daily Updates from our Facebook Page
"Follow US" on Twitter @GotoSchool
Relationship: Get Rich Sugar Mummy and Daddy in Nigeria
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG