Emergency Program Manager – CAR at Mercy Corps
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Emergency Program Manager (EPM) is responsible for coordinating and implementing the delivery of emergency food, non-food items, WASH and shelter interventions for displaced families affected by ongoing violence in north –east (NE) Nigeria. Position includes daily management of program activities and program staff, ensuring appropriate systems and support mechanisms are in place to track, analyze and report on results.
The EPM is a strong team leader, able to develop and mentor field team members, s/he is an effective communicator, able to work remotely with internal and external stakeholders to achieve common objectives. S/he is responsible for managing relationships with local partners and international colleague agencies, beneficiaries, local authorities and donor representatives, thus contributing to achievement of agency goals through innovation, program development and displaying expertise in humanitarian programming.
Emergency Program Manager – NE
- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationBA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience3 – 5 years
- Job FieldNGO/Non-Profit
Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north-east of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by starting its humanitarian program in July 2014.
Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in north-east Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in north-east Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee program start-up and ongoing program management and administration of the teams across the various field locations;
- Ensure that program implementation is conducted with the respect to the security protocols, responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan;
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria;
- Develop partners MoUs and contracts & oversee a training program for program partners;
- Develop program implementation plans;
- Establish and maintain effective program reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use in coordination with the program staff, including end-user monitoring to ensure that designated households are receiving quantity of intended food and non-food items;
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate;
- Ensure MC has up-to-date information on the affected and targeted community and coordinates beneficiary lists and numbers with different stakeholders;
- Adhere to all MC area of security, operations and transport/ logistics information related to programming;
- Ensure monitoring systems are in place, including gathering data for case studies. This will include both direct and remote monitoring where access is limited or restricted.
- Ensure program filing system is in place, adheres to internal and donor’s regulation and filing is regularly maintained
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence;
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews;
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary;
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives;
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Identify any gaps or capacity needs within the team and ensure training and capacity building is incorporated into program planning.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming;
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
- Oversee the program budgets, project cash flow and expenditures.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership;
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Humanitarian program team
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Humanitarian Team Leader
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Field-based security, logistics and finance teams, HQ-based Program Operations, Finance, and TSU staff, regional advisers.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS or equivalent in international studies, economics or other relevant field; MA/S preferred.
- 3-5 years of international relief and development program management experience, in emergency program management.
- Previous experience in operating and managing teams in conflict and insecure environments, required
- Combination of direct and remote management experience preferred.
- Previous demonstrated experience in cash or voucher programming, preferably in insecure settings, highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to manage and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, lead a program to achieve stated results and objectives.
- Experience with the development, implementation & compliance of USAID (OFDA and FFP)/DFID and ECHO funded programs.
- Ability to effectively represent Mercy Corps and its interests to key stakeholders.
- Experience working with local authorities, national and international NGOs.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills Hausa preferred
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Previous experience in insecure environments.
- Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
The successful EPM will combine exceptional management skills and experience in maintaining donor and partner relationships. S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills. S/he will possess high level of adaptability and be able to adjust to the constantly changing working environment. S/he will have previous experience in implementing large scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict context. Prioritizing, problem solving, ability to seize opportunities, attention to detail and strategic vision are essential. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
LIVING /ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The position will based in Biu, Borno state with possibility of transitioning to Maiguri, Borno state.
It requires frequent travel (60%) to the target communities and districts. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing in the field will be in hotels or guesthouse where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.
Access to good medical services in north east is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but be erratic.
The location is eligible for hardship and R&R benefits. Given the nature of the humanitarian response, working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Mercy Corps career website on to apply.Do you need original SEO ready articles for your blog or website? If yes, hire Ifiokobong on Fiverr. Expect simply the best from me.
AD: Click here to Read Latest Nigerian Newspapers Online
Information is Power! Don't miss any information from your School, So, Subscribe to FREE Email Alert! Now
"LIKE" To Get Daily Updates from our Facebook Page
"Follow US" on Twitter @GotoSchool
Relationship: Get Rich Sugar Mummy and Daddy in Nigeria
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG