Job Opening at UN Women
UN Women – In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Communication Specialist Consultant
- Job TypeContract
- QualificationBA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience5 years
- Job FieldConsultancy Media / Advertising / Branding
Additional Category: Gender Equality
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract: 02 Months and 15 days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 02 Months and 15 days
Duties and Responsibilities
- The overall goal of the action is to use the HeForShe initiative and campaign platform to mobilize a visible force for gender equality in Nigeria especially on the rights of women and girls in humanitarian settings.
- To launch the HeForShe platform with high level, accessible and public advocacy on the engagement of men and boys,
- Greater public awareness and support (especially from men in decision making) for internally displaced women and girl survivors of insurgency
- Hosting of a series of high profile events including the official launching ceremony of the HeForShe in Nigeria under the patronage of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
- Mobilize and disseminate voices of high public decision makers, opinion leaders and celebrities’ profiles, heads of government and delegations, and development agencies, UN agencies (OCHA, UNHCR, WFP, UNFPA UNICEF, FAO, and UNDP);
- To mobilize and disseminate the voices of IDPs women/ Girls and survivors of the Boko Haram terrorism attacks in Nigeria;
- To mobilize and disseminate voices of male champions and leaders’ information on their actions from the private sector (corporations), academia sports, and entertainment industry;To mobilize and target key med
- ia and new media around key actions on ending GBV, promoting women’s economic empowerment, women’s participation, especially in humanitarian contexts;
Impact of result:
- To develop and produce advocacy and communications material documenting the Launch;
- To present data collected by the project in a user manner;
- A digital campaign for HeForShe in Nigeria is launched via social media to announce the launch;
- Key messages, real time information and news are disseminated through the duration of the HeForShe campaign;
- 500 invitations are sent to key stakeholders and a minimum of 250 guests are in attendance under the patronage of the office of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria at the official launch event of the HeForShe;
- Develop infographics to disseminate information and data on the status of women and girl IDPs in Gombe, Adamawa and Bauchi states;
- At least 30 media houses/practitioners are partners of the HeForShe launch in Nigeria and are convened for a press conference;
- An interview with the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is conducted and aired on national TV challenging leaders to “take action right now” to create a gender equal world;
- A video documentary with voices of IDPs women/girls survivors is produced;
- Short videos with voices and key messages for call to action by high profile male personalities is produced;
- A youtube channel is created featuring dialogues and talking series on HeForShe, including possible a talk forum;
- HeForShe signage is produced and distributed at each event (hats and T-shirts, Banners, bracelets and other promotional materials;
- User friendly data are produced on an agreed periodicity.
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent communication skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach;
- Proven networking skills, and ability to generate interest in UN Women’s mandate;
- Strong initiative-taker;
- Very effective at multi-tasking;
- Focuses on impact and results;
- Interacts effectively with all levels of the organization;
- Technical expertise;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under time constraints;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong relationships with clients and partners;
- Demonstrates exceptional ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Advanced university degree (Masters or higher level) in a discipline such as: Gender, International Development, Economics, Political Science, or other relevant studies.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the communications field;
- Traceable record of work on similar global campaigns is mandatory;
- Proficiency in using social media, electronic networks and software for communication purposes (i.e. Websites, electronics bulletin, etc.);
- Good experience with new media;
- Practical experience working with the organizations/ private sector/communities in supporting development related projects/activities at a regional or global level is essential;
- Familiarity with gender issues. Familiarity with UN Women and UN system is an asset;
- Significant experience in the African region is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UN Women career website on jobs.undp.org to applyDo you need original SEO ready articles for your blog or website? If yes, hire Ifiokobong on Fiverr. Expect simply the best from me.
AD: Click here to Read Latest Nigerian Newspapers Online
Information is Power! Don't miss any information from your School, So, Subscribe to FREE Email Alert! Now
"LIKE" To Get Daily Updates from our Facebook Page
"Follow US" on Twitter @GotoSchool
Relationship: Get Rich Sugar Mummy and Daddy in Nigeria
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG