Job Openings at Evidence Action
Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world. We fill the gap between knowing ‘what works’ and having impact at scale. We implement cost-effective interventions whose efficacy is backed by substantial rigorous evidence. We identify innovative, appropriate financing mechanisms and build best-practice operational models. We voraciously self-evaluate, learn, and improve our models for scaling with a commitment to transparency on progress, impact, and value for money. Our two flagship programs reached over 100 million people this year. One of them, the Deworm the World Initiative, was again selected by GiveWell as one of only four Top Charities on the planet.
About Deworm the World Initiative
The Deworm the World Initiative enables governments to eliminate the public health threat of intestinal worms through school-based mass deworming programs. We advocate for school-based deworming to policymakers and provide technical assistance to launch, strengthen and sustain programs targeting all at-risk school-age (and sometimes preschool-age) children. The program is delivered through a multi-tier training and distribution cascade, whereby all levels of government, from national to local, are engaged to ensure treatment of school-age and preschool-age children in all at-risk areas.
In 2016 Evidence Action began supporting the government of Cross River state to launch a school-based deworming program for STH and schistosomiasis as a part of the states’ integrated NTD control programs. In 2017 this support will be extended to Ogun, Oyo and Rivers states, targeting over 5.5 million school age children across four states.
Senior Associate, Finance and Accounting
- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationBA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience5 years
- Job FieldFinance / Accounting / Audit
Reports to (title): Lead Representative, Nigeria and Director, Finance and Administration – Africa Region
Travel required: Yes, 30% in-country
To compile and input financial information to provide reliable data for financial reporting, analysis, and decision making. He/she shall advise the management through the Director of Finance and Administration- Africa Region on the financial position/status of Evidence Action Development Initiative (Nigeria). He/she will facilitate payments to creditors, liase with the fiscal agent, and follow up on program advances held by partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the overall financial portfolio of Evidence Action and follow up of pending grants/transfers
- Formulate, implement and review Evidence Action’s financial budgets vs. actuals so that the Evidence Action maintains effective control over its financial performance.
- Provide accurate financial information / reports on a timely basis for appropriate decision making
- Ensure adherence to the payments procedure for both internal and external service providers
- Manage the operational risks of the Society to minimize exposure of Evidence Action
- Facilitate procurement of goods and services on time in full and at least cost through payment preparation
- Oversee the Fund’s compliance of all the government and donor financial management requirements
- Process and coordinate the accounts payables as outlined in the Evidence Action policies.
- Provide operational support to staff on expenditure management to include short term action plans and expenditure scheduling.
- Assist in the maintenance of up-to-date and accurate cash book summaries and cheque registers
- Check and recommend payments – verify payment vouchers in accordance with laid down rules and principles and determine aggregate expenditure
- Assist the Finance and accounting Manager in control of expenditure and below- the- line (BTL) accounts.
- Process, approve and code expenditure (claims, imp rest, surrenders, field office returns and purchase requisitions) and internal recoveries in accordance with budgets.
- Prepare monthly accountancy reports to the Finance and accounting Manager on expenditure and cash management and review monthly expenditure statements with managers
- Participate in internal audits as scheduled and provide auditors with accounting documents as requested and provide explanations on audit queries.
Financial control and Reporting (compliance):
- Update the Asset Register regularly;
- Supervise and appraise assigned assistants periodically and annually.
- Preparation of final accounts with Director, Finance and Administration-Africa Region;
- Ensure correct and timely transactions approvals in the system hence continuously updated ledger accounts;
- Prepare accurate and timely periodic financial returns for Government and Development Partners;
- Ensure timely and accurate supply of information on financial matters for management decision making;
- Supervise preparation of journal entries and initial them before passing on to seniors for signatures;
- Update all accounts and balance them with the General Ledger
- Participate in the preparation of periodic accounts (especially the annual fund accountability statements) for internal and external auditors
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Director, Finance and Administration-Africa Region;
- Receive cash and cheques paid in the name of Evidence Action.
- Examine every cheque received to ascertain that it is genuine and properly drawn
- Issue receipts for cash or cheque received and sign them
- Bank all the day’s receipts intact
- Safely lock up cash or cheques in the safe pending banking the following day
- Secure a properly stamped and signed duplicate banking slip from the bank cashier to whom cheques and cash are deposited
- Prepare payment vouchers for each payment and get them signed by the right signatories
- Pay out cash and cheques to the right beneficiaries and against properly signed vouchers
- Settle all approved payments promptly
- Properly count cash when receiving and making payments, to avoid shortages and/or excesses
- Maintain a daily record of receipts and payments for all cash and cheques received and paid out, and ensure that the difference between total receipts and total payments is equal to cash on hand
- Manage petty cash in strict adherence between total receipts and total payments is equal to cash on hand
- Manage petty cash in strict adherence to financial regulations pertaining to petty cash management
- Ensure proper filing of the vouchers and safe custody of the cheques and the counterfoils.
- Secure supporting documents or authority to back all expenditure vouchers
- Secure appropriate signatures on all vouchers
- Post the vouchers and produce correct balances to each account and to every control account
- Periodically extract the books and balance them with the respective control records
- Periodically compile a Trial Balance, and Income and Expenditure Statement and a Statement of Financial Position;
- File all accounting vouchers properly , and keep safe custody of cheque books and their counterfoils
Key Performance Indicators
- Ensuring timely and accurate financial data is available for decision making
- Ensuring all payments made are well supported, compliant to the organization’s policies and procedures and with donor guidelines.
- Providing periodic financial reports as needed by management.
- Ensuring clean annual and program audits.
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting with Full Accounting qualification ACCA or its equivalent
- Preferably post graduate qualification in the same field
- Minimum of 3 years as a qualified accountant in the Not for Profit sector.
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and statutory Regulations
- Strong leadership & managerial skills
- Knowledge of modern accounting, office filing system;
- Initiative and self-motivation; planning, scheduling and organizing skills
- Preferably 5 years general management experience in the areas of Finance and Administration, reflecting the key duties of this role in the Not for Profit sector
This position may require working on evening & weekends as needed.
State Program Consultant
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience5 years
- Job FieldNGO/Non-Profit
Reports to: Lead Representative, Nigeria, Deworm the World Initiative
Location: Ibadan, Oyo State or Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria; occasional trips to Abuja and other domestic travel
Desired start date: Immediately
Length of commitment: 12 months, full time
The State Program Consultant will use sharply honed project management skills to drive high-quality technical support for school-based mass drug administration (MDA) for STH and schistosomiasis in Oyo and Ogun states. The consultant will work closely with state government personnel to provide technical expertise and manage day-to-day collaboration between Evidence Action’s Nigeria team, global team, and both states, and support government entities at the LGA level as necessary. The State Program Consultant will report to the Lead Representative, Deworm the World Initiative, Nigeria and work closely with Evidence Action’s global deworming team. The State Program Consultant may also support analysis and pursuit of new opportunities for scale-up of school-based deworming in the country.
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with state-level government personnel, ensuring smooth coordination of all activities.
- Drive development of program management tools including work plans, treatment strategy documents, and operational guidelines.
- Leverage program management tools and maintain close attention to detail to ensure that timelines are adhered to and all milestones such as trainings, meetings, and distribution of materials are completed on time
- Provide technical input and evidence-based recommendations for program planning (i.e., strategy documents for specific program components, such as monitoring or coverage validation) and for decision-making during implementation (i.e., troubleshooting supply chain delays or responding to public misperceptions about deworming)
- Engage in outcome-oriented capacity-building efforts with state ministries of health and education in areas such as budgeting, work planning, drug forecasting, and monitoring.
- Proactively engage and collaborate with Evidence Action’s global Deworm the World staff to provide updates, and to incorporate other programs’ learnings and expertise into the delivery of the Oyo and Ogun programs.
- Collaborate with Evidence Action’s Monitoring, Learning, and Information Systems team to develop and implement strategies and tools for program monitoring and evaluation- ultimately using the resulting data to inform program design.
- Represent Evidence Action in meetings and communications at the state level, and be accountable for state-level relationship management with all relevant partners
- Ensure technical support to the state government is in line with Deworm the World’s theory of change and technical support model, and adhere to Evidence Action’s mission and brand through all communications.
- Other technical support as necessary for high-quality implementation of school-based deworming
- Master’s degree in a relevant field is required
- Proven experience in a program management role, preferably for 5+ years
- Demonstrated success in managing relationships with partners and collaborating effectively with diverse partners
- Strong English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Attention to detail coupled with an ability to visualize the “big picture”
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Google Documents, and other common computer programs; familiarity with Box, Asana, and Slack would be a bonus!
- Understanding of neglected tropical diseases (basic epidemiology, common approaches to treatment and control) is preferred
- Strong work ethic and a sense of humor
The term of this position is 12 months, with the potential for extension based on performance and according to program needs. The consultant may be based in either Ibadan, Oyo State or Abeokuta, Ogun State and will report to Evidence Action’s Lead Representative, Deworm the World Initiative. The consultant will work very closely with government staff and other partners within the states, and will collaborate with Deworm the World teams based in Kenya, India, Ethiopia, Vietnam, and the US. Travel within Nigeria will be required in accordance with program needs and all costs for consultancy-related travel will be reimbursed by Evidence Action.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.hire Ifiokobong on Fiverr. Expect simply the best from me.
AD: Click here to Read Latest Nigerian Newspapers Online
Information is Power! Don't miss any information from your School, So, Subscribe to FREE Email Alert! Now
"LIKE" To Get Daily Updates from our Facebook Page
"Follow US" on Twitter @GotoSchool
Relationship: Get Rich Sugar Mummy and Daddy in Nigeria
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG