Operations Managers at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Operations Manager, P-4
- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationBA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience8 years
- Job FieldFinance / Accounting / Audit
Job Number: 501692
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
- As the head of operations of a medium-sized area office, accountable for management of cost effective, efficient and secure operations, in support of management, administration and implementation of the country programmes, consistent with operations of all other offices in the Country in accordance with strategy, plans and decisions made by Country Management Team.
- Provides guidance in operations to a gender-balanced, multidisciplinary team of professionals to identify and correct gender balances.
Key Expected Results
- Operations of financial, budget, information & communication technology, supply & logistics, human resource and administrative management strengthened and maintained for Field Office.
- Appropriate and consistent interpretation and application of operations policy and procedures implemented to support operations at the Field Office level.
- Fiduciary responsibility for funds and assets effectively secured and timely executed for optimum utilization by taking appropriate decision on all operational and financial transactions, disbursement of funds, and administrative arrangements.
- Effective leadership provided in strategic planning and policy recommendations in the area of operations, taking initiative in improving and implementing operations management systems.
- Basic office services effectively provided to enhance staff safety and productivity
- Compliance with all operational systems and procedures effectively monitored to ensure integrity in all financial and other administrative operations of the office.
- Effective coordination, communication, collaboration established and maintained with internal and external partners for efficient operations, advisory function, vision and leadership, policy coordination, consultative and participatory management process, external representation as well as security and emergency operations.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Effective operations of financial, human resource and administrative management:
- Manages and ensures the effective, equitable and efficient operations of the field office’s finance, human resource and administrative systems to support and facilitate the attainment of programmatic goals and objectives by meeting changing operational requirements.
- Ensures effective operations that promote gender sensitivity and gender parity. Advises management and assists in establishing new offices.
Policy interpretation and application:
- As technical professional and manager, accountable for the correct and consistent application of organizational policies and procedures in the management of finance and administrative functions through the provision of technical leadership and operational support to the field office.
- Contributes to global/regional strategic planning and policy changes/formulation on operational matters as necessary; Provides technical input to contribute to the establishment of operational guidelines in close coordination with the Chief of Field office and the Chief of Operations.
- Implements the effective communication, training, roll-out, monitoring and evaluation of new operational initiatives, guidelines and procedures.
Fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets:
- Safeguards the financial resources entrusted to the office by advising on and/or managing financial assets, financial planning and cash management activities and by recommending improvements to the financial and administrative management systems and procedures. Accountable for fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets taking decision on all operational and financial transactions, disbursement of funds, and administrative arrangements.
- Ensures efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of resources through knowledge and technology transfer between offices and consistency of approaches.
- Ensures the provision of basic offices services including space management, equipment, communications and security to enhance staff safety and productivity.
- Under the auspices of the Inter-Agency Operations Management Team, supports approaches for enhancing UN common services to attain efficiencies and effectiveness.
Compliance and Internal Control:
- Monitors and manages budget process. Ensures all other operational reporting requirements are fully met for the office. Monitors compliance with all operational systems and procedures and ensures integrity in all financial and other administrative operations of the office.
- Serve as the focal person for office management indicators; ensure all other operational reporting requirements are fully met for the office; in collaboration with the Chief of Field Office, ensure the implementation of agreed audit recommendations; advise on corrective measures to be taken and establish relevant internal controls. Develop training activities to ensure effective operational performance and efficiency.
Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration:
- Maintains government counterpart relations; resolves issues pertaining to conditions of service, operational facilities and privileges within the context of the Basic Cooperation Agreement; Ensures adherence to financial regulations and rules pertaining to Direct Cash Transfer to Government (DCT).
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including HACT capacity building of IPs, common services and premises agenda, etc.).
- Advises CFO on finance, human resource and administrative matters providing guidance on all operational submissions for the approval of the Representative; briefs office staff on financial, human resource and administrative policies and procedures providing authoritative advice; provides technical guidance and oversight to junior Operations staff in country offices and swiftly resolves operational issues.
- Coordinates/liaises with the national office (Abuja) to support policy formulation in the area of operations; advises on the applicability of new policy directives to regional operations. Makes substantive recommendations on the improvement of systems and internal controls, planning and restructuring and resolution of sensitive issues and problems, taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
- Collaborates with Programme Officers and country office staff providing creative problem solving in support of programming activities while maintaining sound internal operational controls.
- Represents the office in meetings with local banks and administrative suppliers; negotiates locally issued contracts as well as in meetings with other UN Agencies to coordinate operational matters and activities, including harmonization of the UN common system.
- Represents UNICEF in the local salary survey committee and fully participates in all processes of the salary survey review and administration to ensure the methodology is applied correctly throughout.
- Coordinates promptly with the Chief of Field Office, Programme Officers and other staff in the field office for security-related issues and emergency operations. Provides operational support to emergency preparedness and emergencies. Informs and updates all staff members in the field office on security related issues and emergency operations.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in accounting, business administration, economics, or financial management.
- Membership – or enrolled for membership – in a recognized professional accountancy body.
- Eight years of relevant professional work experience in office management, finance, accounting, ICT, and/or human resources;
- Both national and International work experience in management, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, administration supply and procurement related fields;
- Strong emergency experience
- Capable to work under pressure
- Capable to work with less supervision
- Strong strategic skills and good policies knowledge to be able to advise and guide the CFO
- Work experience in emergency duty station.
- Fluency in English required and another UN language desirable
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [II]
- Drive for Result [II]
- Working With People [II]
- Leading and Supervising [II
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
- Analyzing [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Planning and Organizing [III]
Method of Application
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Maiduguri is a non-family duty station.
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to applyDo you need original SEO ready articles for your blog or website? If yes, hire Ifiokobong on Fiverr. Expect simply the best from me.
AD: Click here to Read Latest Nigerian Newspapers Online
Information is Power! Don't miss any information from your School, So, Subscribe to FREE Email Alert! Now
"LIKE" To Get Daily Updates from our Facebook Page
"Follow US" on Twitter @GotoSchool
Relationship: Get Rich Sugar Mummy and Daddy in Nigeria
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG