Security Role at The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC has recently started up with emergency activities in the area of Food Security, Water and Sanitation, Shelter and ICLA sectors in Nigeria in order to respond to the urgent humanitarian needs in the northeast.
In the coming year, one of NRC’ main focus will be to provide the displacement affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local host communities including IDP camps in Borno State and displaced affected population in surrounding north – eastern states with adequate WaSH, Food Security and livelihood, Shelter, ICLA, Education amongst other durable solutions. NRC is therefore seeking a Security Team Leader based in Maiduguri – Nigeria for 2017. The Security Team Leader will report to the Security Coordinator.
Security Team Leader
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience5 years
- Job FieldNGO/Non-Profit Security / Intelligence
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance policies and procedures
- Technical supervision of the Security department
- Ensuring that Standard Operating Procedures relating to the Maiduguri CMC are followed
- Monitor compliance with NRC’s Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS)
- Assist the Security Coordinator with obtaining information, analysis and composing of documents
- Attend Humanitarian Security meetings held in Maiduguri (e.g. INSO, UNDSS, OCHA)
- Develop networks locally with stakeholders and partner organizations
- Seek technical advice and support from country Security Manager.
- Assist and advise the Security Coordinator to ensure that the Maiduguri team is in compliance with NRC’s Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS)
- Establish/maintain effective security information networks with external actors
- Conduct briefings for new staff and visitors with regard to safety and security.
- Supports the Security Coordinator to brief staff on security related issues during NRC meetings, induction sessions etc.
- Supports the Security Coordinator with writing security updates, revision of security documents, Security Risk Assessments and situation reports
- Ensure that the standard security incident reporting system is applied.
- Supports the Security Coordinator in ensuring that the integrity of NRC is taken into account in all aspects of operations conducted by the NRC.
- Assist Security Coordinator in the event of security incidents and emergencies
- Execute security related tasks and any other tasks as assigned by Area Manager/Security Adviser.
- At request of the Security Coordinator, brief staff on security related issues during NRC meetings.
- Deputizes when the Security Coordinator is not available.
- Performs any other duty assigned by the Security Coordinator.
- Minimum 5 years of experience from working as a senior Security Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the context in North East Nigeria
- Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri, both written and spoken. Knowledge of other local languages in Borno State an advantage
- Experience with start-up communications room
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Initiate action and change
- Analysing and strategic thinking
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
Commencement: February, 2017
Contract period: 31st December 2017 (with possibility of extension)
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Duty station: Maiduguri – Borno State
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate can submit their application letter, updated CV and copy of valid means of identification (Passport, Driver’s license, National Identity Card or Voter’s Card) to the following e-mail address:firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the position (Security Team Leader – Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!
• NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
(any application received after the deadline will not be considered).
Do you need original SEO ready articles for your blog or website? If yes, hire Ifiokobong on Fiverr. Expect simply the best from me.
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position
AD: Click here to Read Latest Nigerian Newspapers Online
Information is Power! Don't miss any information from your School, So, Subscribe to FREE Email Alert! Now
"LIKE" To Get Daily Updates from our Facebook Page
"Follow US" on Twitter @GotoSchool
Relationship: Get Rich Sugar Mummy and Daddy in Nigeria
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG