Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north-east of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by starting its humanitarian programs in July 2014.
With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in north-east Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
WASH Program Manager- NE Nigeria
- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationBA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience3 – 5 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The WASH Program Manager is a key management position for Mercy Corps Nigeria’s emergency response to the humanitarian crisis in North East Nigeria. The positions has supervisory and managerial responsibilities, including directly managing all emergency WASH programs and activities implemented by Mercy Corps and funded by multiple donors. The WASH Program Manager provides technical leadership and supervision to WASH program staff. S/he is responsible for overseeing program implementation and ensuring achievement of program objectives in compliance with Mercy Corps, donor requirements and international standards.
S/he actively participates in relevant humanitarian coordination in Biu and ensures field staff participates in coordination meetings at sub-office level. S/he plays a key role in program development, proposal writing, and shaping Mercy Corps’ overall program strategy for emergency and transitional programming in WASH as well as other sectors.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
In close collaboration with Deputy Team Leader and Head of Office in Biu, (and potentially other sub-offices in case of extension):
- Oversee and ensure that procurement is completed, documented and delivered to end-user in a timely manner, ensuring that items procured meet specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and Mercy Corps procurement guidelines.
- Oversee all aspects of asset as well as stock management for the WASH items, including ensuring sound transfers between sub-offices or to the program implementation sites
- Ensure quality and accuracy of the BoQs and Contracts, Cost estimates and any other project-related documentation needed for procurement.
Program Management and Implementation
- Provide leadership and management of all aspects of WASH program design, planning, implementation, quality and accountability.
- Participate to the elaboration of technical design on WASH interventions for program proposals and budgets as requested.
- Build the capacity of all national WASH team members with special focus to more senior positions, in program management,
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities needs for WASH and Nutrition and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines.
- Integrate community approaches, gender and disablement sensitivity, Do No Harm/protection mainstreaming, environmental sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Establish, manage and coordinate work plans for all program activities, including making adjustments in response to any changes in the security situation in close coordination with the Head of Office Biu, Deputy Team Leader, and the Director Humanitarian Programs – Programs.
- Manage the WASH program budget, including: approval of appropriate program expenses (within approval limit), tracking of program spending and financial obligations, verification of monthly budget-vs-actual reports, estimation of projected spending and submission of monthly cash forecasts, etc.
- Manage the monitoring and evaluation system for all WASH program activities, including the planning and execution of any required evaluations, to ensure that accurate and timely information is available. Document lessons learned and best practices and integrate into program activities as appropriate.
- Conduct regular field visits to all program sites in order to ensure that WASH programs are adapted to local needs, provide quality control assurance, and to conduct regular audits of program activities.
- Provide regular internal and external reports on program status, as required.
Coordination and Representation:
Develop and maintain working relationships and coordinate with relevant international and local agencies active in the WASH working group and related coordination platforms.
Document and communicate program implementation experience and lessons learned to support coordination and learning efforts.
Other duties as assigned.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
This position requires supervision of a team of approximately 5 national staff. The WASH Program Manager is responsible for the direct supervision of emergency WASH program staff in field locations in North East Nigeria.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Deputy Team Leader
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: WASH Program Staff.
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: The WASH Program Manager works directly with the humanitarian program and operations staff in the field.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/S in engineering, management, international development or other relevant field. Related MSc or MAs is a key asset.
- Significant experience successfully managing programs and teams in the field, preferably in Africa. Program experience should include program implementation, M&E, needs assessments, reporting and proposal development and budget monitoring required
- Experience with emergency WASH programs with a view on sustainable infrastructure, Cash-for-Work and hygiene education programming required
- Experience working with local stakeholders required
- Good organizational and program management skills and the ability to anticipate program needs.
- Ability to effectively represent the organization and its interests to a diverse range of stakeholders, including local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, donors, other international organizations, the media and the community.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required, with strong focus on Excel.
- Ability to analyze databases resulting from surveys
- Excellent oral and written English skills are an advantage, with local languages skills a bonus.
- Proven experience in working in insecure environment and through remote management.
- The successful WASH Program Manager will be conscientious, with an excellent sense of judgment and commitment to integrity. S/he will have strong understanding of the long-term implications of humanitarian work and the importance of incorporating the development of civil society and local partners into activities.
- S/he will be able to interact productively with partner and peer agencies, and demonstrate effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required. S/he will have interest and ability to travel and work in remote environments and awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international development work and ability to train and facilitate dialogue among a diverse group of individuals with various skill sets and working styles.
- Finally, s/he will be able to creatively problem-solve, juggle multiple priorities under tight deadlines, and to calmly and diplomatically deal with unexpected and sudden events impacting program operations. Patience, tenacity, dedication to improving aid delivery and a good sense of humor are key for this role.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The position will be based in Biu town ( Biu LGA south of Borno state) and requires substantial amount of travel between field locations in Gombe, Adamawa and Borno states. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing will be in hotels or guesthouse where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.
Access to good medical services in North East Nigeria is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water in main urban centers are available but might be erratic.
The location is eligible for hardship and R&R (every 10 weeks) benefits. Working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Send in your application HEREDo you need original SEO ready articles for your blog or website? If yes, hire Ifiokobong on Fiverr. Expect simply the best from me.
AD: Click here to Read Latest Nigerian Newspapers Online
Information is Power! Don't miss any information from your School, So, Subscribe to FREE Email Alert! Now
"LIKE" To Get Daily Updates from our Facebook Page
"Follow US" on Twitter @GotoSchool
Relationship: Get Rich Sugar Mummy and Daddy in Nigeria
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG